Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Introducing Anneliese!


I would like to take this opportunity to introduce you to my newest project. As my lovely former roommate, Katie, can attest to, I've had some difficulty keeping plants alive. Germans, on the other hand, seem to have a culture-wide green thumb. Almost every balcony is festooned with flower boxes and there are flower shops on virtually every street corner.
After walking past about a thousand shops, I got up the courage to go in and subsequently came out with a new roommate. It's high time I learned to keep a plant alive for more than a couple of weeks! Therefore, in an effort to personify my new little friend, I've named her Anneliese after a famous Berliner.
Anneliese Bödecker was a Berlin socialite and famous once said, "Die Berliner sind unfreundlich und rücksichtlos, ruppig und rechthaberisch, Berlin ist abstoβend, laut, dreckig und grau. Baustellen und verstopfte Straβen wo man geht und steht - aber mir tun alle Menschen leid, die hier nicht leben können!" According to my translation Anneliese's quote states, "The Berliners are unfriendly and inconsiderate, gruff and bossy, Berlin is repugnant, loud, dirty and gray. The streets where one lives and works are always under construction and congested but I feel very for everyone who never has the chance to live here!" I love this quote as it pokes fun at many of the Berlin stereotypes (which are comically grounded in reality). Thus, I christen my little Berlin plant Anneliese. I'll keep you posted on her status and please keep your fingers crossed that I can keep her alive!

1 comment:

  1. You can do it!!! I too have a plant, no name yet, but she's been going strong for 2 weeks already so thats what, like double what are record is? hahaha Miss you

    ReplyDelete